Thursday, November 18, 2010

Blog # 7

               If I had to define “funny” I would say that funny is someone or something that makes me laugh. I don’t necessarily have to laugh out loud when I see or hear something funny. I often grin like a fool when something is funny, but laughing out loud is a sure sign that I found something funny. The article we read about the cocaine dealer was funny, but the roll my eyes and chuckle kind.
                When I think of style I don’t usually think of a person I think of clothing or hair. If I was to think of a person who is stylish or has style I think of someone like Avril Lavigne, not that it is my style, but it is interesting.
                As it pertains to putting my style into my papers, I know I mentioned this before.  I write like I talk, for the most part. I don’t like to read things that throw big words at me just so that someone can show that they can use them. I want to read something that is understandable and makes sense, not something that has no life or personality, even if it is a scholarly paper or a textbook.
                I have this textbook that I use in my ICD 9 coding class. I, personally, like this textbook very much. While coding is somewhat technical, the author made it understandable, approachable, AND interesting. She takes you through the steps in finding a code and when you have found the code it will say something like “Did you find the code to be 042? Good job!” I like that. Whereas in my Introduction to Health Information Technology book it is very, very technical and the writing doesn’t invite you to read. It has no personality and doesn’t make me want to read. I’m sure if it was written differently I wouldn’t find it as difficult and many of my fellow students would be doing better in this class. We all struggle in this class and I know it has nothing to do with the instructor; it is the subject matter and the way it is presented in the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment